To wit: Notice the President's use of the word "kids."
It used to be that "kids" were no longer "kids" when they turned 18 years of age. After all, they can vote and they can serve in the Armed Forces. They are "young adults" and shoulder responsibilities that are greater than those associated borne by "kids." And that's sensible.
When "young adults" turn 21, they can legally purchase adult beverages and, in some states, marijuana. That may not be sensible, but they are now "adults" and must learn to bear personal responsibility for the choices they make.
Somewhere between the age of 21 and 35, most accept adult responsibilities, like jobs, marriage, family, homeownership, financial security, and the like.
But, President Obama consistently calls millennials under 30 years of age "kids." This is what has caught The Motley Monk's attention. The President has even gone so far as to codify this definition in Obamacare so that "kids" under the age of 26 can remain on their parents' healthcare insurance. It' sounds all so "caring" and "compassionate."
What a wonderful father! If only every father was so caring and compassionate!
In truth, however, President is a politician, one who wants kids aged 21-26 not to have to worry about having to pay for their own healthcare insurance. Why?
The Motley Monk thinks this is demeaning to those young adults and may be spawning a generation of dependents...what could develop into a sizable coalition of middle-aged citizens who view the government's primary role as protecting them from the realities of adult life out there in the cold, harsh adult world.
According to the Pew Center, 21.6M millennials between the ages of 18 and 31 today are living with their parents. That's 36% of millennials.
Portraying those millennials as "kids" casts them into the role of dependents whose parents must continue protecting and coddling them from feeling victimized by the big, bad world out there. The language is crafted precisely to make parents feel sorry for their "kids" while, in truth, those kids don't get a taste of what the real world requires of them to survive as adults.
The Motley Monk thinks a lot of this has to do with how all too many people perceive the undergraduate years today. Is it's role to transition "kids" into "young adulthood" so they are ready, upon graduation, to make adult decisions, to build a sound financial foundation for their future, and to accept personal responsibility for one's adult life? Or, are those undergraduate years time for "kids" to play around in the sandbox--whether on campus or on break in For Lauderdale, Cancun, or Aruba--having a great old time on their parents' dime?
There are many fine millennials who "get it"--perhaps 64% of them--and who have used their undergraduate years wisely. What are they going to say at the ballot box in 10 or 15 years when the other 36% will be voting for candidates who want to increase taxes to pay for all of their entitlements?
Let the discussion begin...
To read the Pew Report, click on the following link: