Courtesy of The Daily Signal, here's a few examples that should fill the nation's taxpayers with glee:
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Market Access Program has used $173M to promote the sales of American products overseas. Get this item: Taxpayer funds have been used to create an animated squirrel for walnut advertisements.
- The U.S. Department of Energy's Advanced Manufacturing Office Grant Program has poured millions of $$$s into federal grants to "green" technology companies. One such grant: $2.5M to reduce the amount of energy expended while roasting coffee beans.
- The National Technical Information Service catalogues scientific and research papers for taxpayers to order for a fee. Get this: The majority of the papers in the catalogue are already available online, for free. Better yet: The service loses money annually.
- The Small Business Association's Startup America Partnership promises to invest $2B in start-ups over 5 years. Two startups: A weight-sensing skateboard company and a lollipop dispensary.
- The International Trade Administration's Featured U.S. Exporters Program helps U.S. businesses export products. Two beneficiaries: A lip balm business and "iWood"--a wooden sunglasses manufacturer.
Each year, the Government Accountability Office reports how the federal government might eliminate wasteful spending. Unfortunately, most members of Congress relegate the report to the circular file. Why? They're sponsoring the individuals and groups receiving those grants!
The Motley Monk agrees with the Heritage Foundation that Congress should establish an independent National Government Waste Commission. Its mission would be to eliminate duplicative programs and to identify wasteful and frivolous federal spending. This Commission would present its recommendations to Congress for a straight up-or-down vote...for which their constituents could hold their members of Congress accountable.
Let the discussion begin...
To read the article in The Daily Signal, click on the following link:
"9 Government Programs Your Tax Dollars are Being Wasted on."