Consider the demographics of Chicago’s 60624 zip code:
- It’s the most dangerous in Cook County, with the highest number of homicides, robberies, and narcotics incidents per capita.
- 98% of residents are Black with a median income slightly above the poverty line.
- It has the fewest concealed carry firearm permits per capita. Chicago's Englewood, West Englewood, and West Garfield Park neighborhoods have ~115k residents. 193 (or 0.17%) have concealed carry licenses.
Now consider Cook County’s 60464 zip code:
- It has experienced 1 homicide in the past 10 years.
- 96% of its residents are White with an average income of $121k/year.
- 1.24% of its residents have a concealed carry permit, the highest number in Cook County.
The Washington Times reports that 90% of the 7.37k active permits in Illinois have been granted to White applicants. Why?
- Applicants must first purchase a weapon.
- Applicants then must pay an average of $650 to secure a permit, the highest of any state. This fee includes: registration and training for fingerprinting, background checks, taxes, and logistics.
Obviously, the cost is somewhat of a stretch for people whose median income is slightly above the poverty line. Which comes first? Food and medicine or armaments and self-protection?
The fact is that only 8% of Blacks in Chicago possess concealed carry permits. Doesn’t this statistic suggest that the law is disarming law-abiding Blacks who just want to protect themselves and their families from thugs? Residents of Chicago, especially those of the 60624 zip code, shouldn’t have to make those choices.
The Chicago Police Department appears to be feckless in stemming the City’s murder rate. Even worse yet, the Democrat legislators representing the 60624 zip code believe that disarming their constituents in the face of drug and gang violence is the best way to deal with this urban blight. When a resident asked his alderman to host a meeting to teach the public about their concealed carry right, the alderman declined.
Does anyone think Mayor Rahm Emanuel would move into 60624 with no security detail to protect him in order to set an example that he won’t tolerate the gun violence?
Let the discussion begin…
To read the Washington Times article, click on the following link:
"Data divulges racial disparity in Chicago's issuance of gun permits."