- In 1970, 84% of adults aged 30 to 44 were married; in 2007, the figure for that demographic was 60%.
- The drop was even more dramatic for Black women aged 20 to 44. In 1970, 62% of Black women were married; in 2007, the figure for that demographic was 33%.
A whole host of reasons can be conjured up to explain this phenomenon. Arguably, the most influential of those reasons is the federal government’s role through the power of the U.S. Tax Code which penalizes marriage. Especially hard hit in this regard are low-income wage earners, as the application of the Tax Code to their annual 1040s indicates they’d be better off not getting married.
Consider the following, care of the National Center for Policy Analysis and its staff's reflections upon Black History month (aka, "what the War on Poverty really did to the nation's Blacks):
- A couple, each earning 200% of the federal poverty level ($23,340 annually), decide to marry. Their ~$46.7k combined household income now is 300% of the federal poverty level. As a result, their eligibility for federal government benefits (e.g., food stamps, health insurance subsidies, etc.) drops.
- If the couple has a child and were to marry, they’d owe $2,857 annually in higher federal taxes. But, if the couple were to cohabitate rather than marry and if the mother applied for food stamps for herself and her child, she’d qualify for an additional $1.8k annually for which she’d be ineligible if she was to marry.
- Obamacare also penalizes marriage as health insurance subsidies for exchange coverage are more generous for individuals than couples. That same couple earning 200% of the poverty level would qualify for a subsidy of $1,151 each. But, if they marry, they’d qualify for only $845.
Calculating what the U.S. Tax Code really means for their lives, many couples have decided they're financially better off cohabiting than getting married. However, the simple fact is that unmarried households are much more likely to be characterized by poverty than married households. To wit: Single mothers with children are 600% more likely to live below the federal poverty level than married parents with children.
Looking at what the liberals’ so-called “Great Society” has done to undermine the nation's most effective antipoverty program--marriage--one can better appreciate why liberals are so busy promoting so-called “homosexual marriage”: They would be increasing the taxpayer $$$s flowing into the U.S. Treasury to pay for all of their social programs and experiments.
The lesson? Don't ever underestimate the mental acuity of liberals, especially when it comes to building and increasing the power of a centralized statist government. They'll promote whatever they need to promote to collect more tax $$$s...even from the people whose causes the liberals are so busy promoting and irrespective of the potentially devastating impacts it may have upon them.
Let the discussion begin…
To read the NCPA’s reflections on Black History month, click on the following link:
To read how Obamacare made the War on Poverty’s “war on marriage” worse, click on the following link: