The problem is that those spinmeisters are doing what they're highly paid to do--"spin"--and are hopeful that no one will drill down to discover what the facts really are.
Well, the folks over at the Manhattan Institute drilled down into the numbers and published their findings at Forbes.com. What they found was that the 11.4M figure is not only misleading but also obscures the number of previously uninsured individuals who now have healthcare insurance.
- "Signing up" for Obamacare doesn't mean "enrolling" in Obamacare. In 2014, the spinmeisters hailed the 8M who signed up for the Obamacare exchanges. But, when the enrollment period ended, only 6.7M (84%) were enrolled. So, let's say that the more realistic figure for 2015 is more like 9.5M, not 11.4M. Yes, that looks like growth but not of the magnitude the spinmeisters would like people to believe.
- Signing 11.4M people up for healthcare insurance is not the same as signing up 11.4M previously uninsured people for healthcare insurance. Why? Many of those who enrolled in the Obamacare exchanges already had private health insurance prior to the Affordable Care Act. To wit:
* In 2013, at least 4.7M people had their insurance policies canceled due
* In 2014, 3.8 million (57%) of Obamacare exchange enrollees were
* Combining these 57% with the expectation that 84% of the 11.4 million
sign-ups will not pay their premiums in 2015, only 5.4M previously
uninsured individuals will be enrolled in Obamacare by the end of the year.
The conclusion to be drawn from the Manhattan Institute study?
The spinmeisters are being artfully deceptive, intentionally misleading people to believe that 11.4M people have signed up for Obamacare. The more realistic number is 5.4M.
Thank goodness someone is drilling down the numbers regarding Obamacare. But, come to think about it, what about the other 24.6M people who the pro-Obamacare spinmeisters said in 2009 were uninsured and would be covered by Obamacare?
Let the discussion begin...
To read the article at Forbes.com, click on the following link:
"Contra White House, Obamacare Exchanges Enroll Approx. 5 Million Uninsured, Not 11.4 Million."