FACT: Carbon emissions (CO2) are rising. That fact care of the Director
of the Copenhagen Consensus Center, Bjorn Lomborg, in a recent Wall
Street Journal article.
So, the stormy petrels are correct on that account. Duly noted by The Motley Monk.
But, those who worship at the altar of environmentalism aren’t correct when they take that fact and run with it to proffer their speculations about what that fact means and tout those speculations as truth. As Lomborg notes:
- The climate models used by those who worship at the altar of environmentalism predicted an 0.8°F rise in temperature over the past 15 years. The fact: The temperature rose just 0.09°F, 90% less than the stormy petrils blared.
- Antarctic sea ice is increasing not decreasing, as predicted by the models used by those who worship at the altar of environmentalism.
- For decades, sea levels have risen. But, not at those faster rates as predicted by the models used those who worship at the altar of environmentalism. The fact: Two recent studies indicate that the rate of sea level rise has dropped.
- According to a March 2014 study, the amount of the world's surface that has faced drought since 1982 has decreased not increased, as predicted by the models used by those who worship at the altar of environmentalism.
- Yes, damage costs from hurricanes have increased in the United States, but only because more people with more expensive property are living near coastlines. Adjusting for those factors, damage from hurricanes between 1900 and 2013 decreased slightly. This decrease despite the increase in property values during those 113 years.
- Since 1950, the number of typhoons making land has decreased. Inexplicably, those who worship at the altar of environmentalism are calling for increased CO2 emissions to reduce typhoons.
- Since 1900, deaths attributable to natural disasters have dropped by 907%. Why do the stormy petrels continually describe the magnitude of such deaths--unfortunate as each death is--as increasing?
In each instance, the stormy petrels have been flat-out wrong. The facts simply aren’t on their side. Yet, they continue to persist in their protests against the dangers of CO2 emissions. So loudly, in fact, they’re forcing their expensive and ineffective agenda to fight CO2 emissions upon the nation through the federal government’s regulatory powers.
It’s all based upon a willful distortion of facts. Once again, and quite unfortunately, being deceptive seems to matter little to those who worship at the altar of environmentalism.
Let the discussion begin…
To read Bjorn Lomborg’s Wall Street Journal article, click on the following link:
"The Alarming Thing About Climate Alarmism."