As it ends up, research offers what amount to the "10 Commandments" of health benefits associated with imbibing 1 or 2 beers daily:
- Decreases cardiovascular disease risk. For maximum protection, consume one pint--at around 5% alcohol by volume--daily.
- Boosts creativity. Beer-buzzed males with a blood alcohol content of .075 solved the puzzles faster than their sober counterparts.
- Prevents Type 2 diabetes. Men who drank moderately over 4 years were significantly less likely to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.Drink one or two beers every happy hour.
- Decreases the development of kidney stones. Yes, by 40%.
- Better than Gatorade to recover from a workout. Drinking one post-workout pint increase hydration than water.
- Instantly boosts confidence.The more beer people consume, the more attractive they find themselves regardless of whether or not they were actually buzzed. Ha!
- Decreases the formation of cataracts. 1 or 2 lagers or stouts daily stops cataracts from forming in the eyes. However, 3+ doesn't.
- Lowers blood pressure. Moderate beer drinkers are less likely to develop high blood pressure than those who sip wine or cocktails.
- Wards off infections. 1 or 2 adult beverages daily might boost the immune system and fight infection, at least it does in monkeys.
- Prevents fractures. 1 or 2 beers daily can strengthen bones, up to 4.5% greater bone density compared to non-imbibers. However, 2+ beers daily lowers bone denisty by 5.2%.
Of course, none of the research supporting these findings "proves" anything. But, the research does indicate that 1 or 2 beers daily might have beneficial health effects.
Perhaps it's time for The Motely Monk to pass on the single malt and enjoy a Lou Malnati's sausage pizza and 2 Chimay Grande Reserves!
Let the discussion begin...
To read the MSN Men's Health article, click on the following link: