How so? According to BBC News, Ms. Royal is on the stump demanding that people stop eating Nutella.
In France, debate about the use of palm oil issue has been swirling since 2011, when French senators proved unsuccessful in their attempts to impose a 300% tax on the product. (READ: Those senators tried to impose confiscatory taxes on a consumer good--like tobacco and soda in the United States--to curb politically undesirable conduct.)
Certainly, had Ms. Royal been able to intervene with Pope Francis, as the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon did, she could have ginned up papal concern about the dangers that Nutella presents not only to the human race but also to the fragile environment.
The chocolate firm which owns Nutella, Ferro, is based in Italy and, contrary to what Ms. Royal claims, Ferro's leadership has made commitments to source palm oil in a responsible way. For example, Nutella leadership announced last February that all of its products were produced with palm fruit oil that was certified as 100% sustainable according to the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) supply chain.
However, that really doesn't matter when the issue for the stormy petrels who worship at the altar of environmentalism also involves global inequality. For them, the real problem of social justice is that Nutella imports ~80% of its palm oil from one developing nation: Malaysia. The other ~20% comes from three other developing nations: Brazil, Indonesia, and Papua New Guinea. Ferro is purchasing palm oil at a low price by exploiting laborers in the developing world. (READ: "Those greedy, Italian capitalists are fueling global inequality by pillaging forests of developing nations in order to make people in the First World fat and happy.)
Along with automobiles, air conditioners, batteries, and a whole host of other environmentally "unfriendly" consumer products that are alleged damage the environment, perhaps Ms. Royal could have lobbied Pope Francis to add Nutella to the list. Banning the product would be a sure sign of solidarity with the poor.
Let the discussion begin...
To read the BBC News article, click on the following link: