- As a group, failed all 4 basic subjects: English, Math, Reading, and Science.
- Only 25% demonstrated proficiency in all 4 subjects.
- 60% percent failed 2 of the 4 subject areas.
- 25%+ failed to demonstrate proficiency in any subject at all.
Of these data, the economists note:
If the point of high school is to prepare students for college, high schools are clearly failing.
Think about that: Only 30% of college freshmen don’t require remediation. Guess who’s paying for the other 70% who do? Think: “Spread the wealth around a bit.”
Yep. Raise tuition for all in order to provide for those needing remediation for what they should have known to be admitted to college in the first place.
The “take away”? Today, a high school diploma is basically worthless in the same way an elementary school diploma was basically worthless in 1965 when the federal government started pouring what eventually amounted by 2009 to $70B into elementary and secondary education.
But, then, there’s what these data mean concerning the value of a college degree today:
- From 1987 to 2007, the expected lifetime earnings of high school graduates fell by 20%.
- During the same 2 decades, the lifetime earnings of college graduates rose only 1%.
- Although a college degree in 2007 continued to be worth marginally more when compared to a high school diploma earned in 2007, its value is roughly equivalent to what it was in 1987.
Harrigan and Davies note:
It's like feeling richer not because you're earning more money, but because your friends all lost their jobs.
All thanks to the 48% of those who pay taxes! Great return on investment, no?
Let the discussion begin...
To access the sources cited in this post, click on the following link: