First—the bad news:
- ~10% of college graduates believe "Judge Judy" is a member of the U.S. Supreme Court;
- 60% of college graduates couldn't correctly identify a requirement for ratifying a constitutional amendment;
- 40% of college graduates didn't know that Congress has the power to declare war; and,
- ~59% believe the father of the Constitution was Thomas Jefferson, who was the principal writer for the Declaration of Independence.
Second—the good news:
- 28.4% of college graduates correctly identify the father of the Constitution as James Madison; and,
- 50% of college graduates surveyed know that presidential impeachments are tried before the U.S. Senate.
The poll, conducted by the American Council of Trustees and Alumni in August 2015, surveyed 1k college graduates. The report’s conclusion: Recent college graduates "are alarmingly ignorant of America's history and heritage."
| || || |
Let the discussion begin…