Consider the following data, care of a Heritage Foundation report, about which the President did not speak to the folks. In 2010:
- The average American household received $31.5k+ in government benefits and services (such as Social Security, unemployment insurance, means-tested welfare programs, public education and local services like police protection). Note: That's the average American household, as not every household experienced a net gain in government benefits.
- The average American household headed by a college-educated person paid $54k+ in taxes while receiving ~$24.9k in government benefits. These are the "tax providers."
- The average American household headed by a person without a high school diploma paid ~$11.5k in taxes while receiving $46.5k+ in government benefits. These are the "tax consumers."
The average immigrant tends to be a tax consumer, as 50% of illegal immigrant households are headed by adults how have not earned a high school diploma. Only 25% have earned a high school diploma. So, now consider this:
- In 2010, the average illegal immigrant household received $24.7k+ in government benefits, paying $10k+ in taxes, a benefit of $14k+/household.
- Illegal immigrants also receive the benefits of government services (like fire and police protection) and their children receive public education.
- Children of illegal immigrants born in the United States are eligible for the full spread of government welfare benefits, including Social Security and Medicare.
So here's what President Obama's "compassionate" solution of amnesty really means: Qualifying undocumented immigrants will enter the welfare system and further drain the U.S. Treasury of $$$s it does not have. To wit:
- The average illegal immigrant is 34 years old. Amnesty means this individual will receive government benefits for 50 years. While some amnesty proposals restrict benefit access for the first 13 years after amnesty, that limitation would have little impact on long-term costs to the government.
- Over the course of a lifetime, 11.5M illegal immigrants who are estimated to be granted amnesty would receive $9.4T in government benefits, paying only $3.1T in taxes.
When compassion outpaces the mind, beware. That's exactly what President Obama wants...compassion in the name of social justice that ultimately makes more people dependent on the government dole at the expense of the "tax providers." And expands the Democrat Party's voter base while the U.S. Treasury goes bankrupt.
Let the discussion begin...
To read the Heritage Foundation report, click on the following link:
"Ten-Step Checklist for Revitalizing America's Immigration System: How the Administration Can Fulfill Its Responsibilities."